The Anna Paulowna polder was named in honour of king Willem IIs consort, Anna Paulowna. Covering about 193 square miles, the plot between the mainland and the former island Wieringen was enclosed by dykes and laid dry between 1845 and 1846, during king Willem IIs reign. This makes the Anna Paulowna polder comparatively young.
The county Anna Paulowna was established on 1 August 1870. Before this, it was part of county Zijpe. Since 1 January 2012 Anna Paulowna was merged with Wieringen, Wieringermeer and Niedorp to make up the county Hollands Kroon.